Microsoft have now announced how end users can obtain an upgrade to the new Windows 10 Operating System. The new release will be on July 29th 2015 as a free download for anyone running Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1 and will only be available for 1 year.
If you are still running Windows XP then you will not be eligible to upgrade and you would have to purchase a license. Windows 10 Home will set you back $119 (just over £77 under the current exchange rate), and Windows 10 Pro will cost you $199 (just over £129). However please note, these are just US pricing and there are no current UK or international pricing at time of writing this article.
How Do I Get Windows 10
If you can remember the article I wrote about “GWXconfigmanager Linked to Windows Patch KB3035583“? Well this is where it now comes into play. In order to get Windows 10 (code-named: GWX) you must have this patch installed, next you have to “reserve” your copy to be entitled to it, here is your To-Do list:-
- First, you must be running Windows 7 Service Pack 1 or Windows 8.1, and you must have installed the Windows update KB3035583, which you can check yourself in your Add/Remove programs > View Installed Updates
- In your system tray (the lower right corner near your clock) you should see a new icon displaying the Windows logo.
- Click that icon, and a window will pop-up that explains how the free upgrade works. Once it’s available, Windows 10 will automatically download onto your PC. You’ll need approx. 3Gb of hard drive space and a good Internet connection, you will receive a notification after the download is complete. Meanwhile, you can scroll through the various screens of the GWX window to read more about the new OS.
- When you’re done, simply click the button to reserve your free upgrade.
The reservation screen asks for your email address so you can receive the notification. Enter your email address and click the Send confirmation button. You can now close the GWX window.
- Should you change your mind and wish to cancel the reservation, just click the Get Windows 10 icon again. Click the menu bars in the upper left corner to display the options and click the link for View Confirmation. Then click the link to Cancel reservation and click the button for Cancel reservation to confirm your choice.
What You Need to Know!
Please be advised, by opting to install Windows 10 I would strongly advise you follow these tips:-
- Backup your essential data BEFORE installing the upgrade.
- Check with your software and hardware manufacturers that the kit you have is compatible with Windows 10.
- Make sure the specification of your PC meets the requirements for the new OS.
For further support on upgrading to Windows 10 please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org.